Re: WiFi not working on Dell Inspiron 6400 - and now on Samsung Q35

Mike Cohler wrote:
> I am running FC5 on a Samsung Q35 - which has an IPW3945.  I have
> installed the ieee80211 version 1.1.13 subsystem, and also the
> ipw3945 driver version 0.0.73 from sourceforge, along with the
> microcode and regulatory daemons.

I have an IPW3945 that's working fairly well for me on FC4.  I can
help out to some extent, but there may well be some things that are a
little different in FC5 which I have yet to install and test.  This is
also the first wireless card I've had to play around with.  So take
all this with a small grain of salt.

> I prepared an ifcfg-eth1 file in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> directory.

Did you create it by hand or use some tool to make it?  What's that
look like?  I only ask to see if it's got anything funky in it that
might cause you problems.

> However I presume that the "# echo" and the ">> /etc/modules...."
> are not required as this makes the system fail to boot, so I put the
> two lines into the modprobe.conf file as

Right, running those lines from a shell exactly as written will create
the modprobe entries in /etc/modules.d/ for you.

You said that it works fine when you use the load script from the
build directory.  Just to be sure, is the module properly installed in
/lib/modules/...?

> install ipw3945 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ipw3945 ; \
> sleep 0.5 ; /sbin/ipw3945d --quiet
>
> remove ipw3945  /sbin/ipw3945d --kill ; \
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove ipw3945

That looks good.  It's what I have anyway, though I have mine all on
one line (in case it matters, and if you aren't just breaking it up
for the email).  And I'm using my wireless right now, so it definitely
can be made to work.

> If I try ifup eth1 after booting the terminal message is: "ipw3945
> device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialisation"

I get that sometimes too, but it doesn't prevent it from working.  I
believe this happens when the regulatory daemon needs to be started
up.

> I am using the 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp kernel -

2.6.15-1.1833_FC4smp here, so we're talking fairly similar kernels at
least.

> Does anyone know how to get this to work so that it knows about the
> wireless interface after bootup ?

A minor complication in my setup is that I have tried to make things
work as smoothly as possible to switch between the wired and wireless
connections on my home network.  So I've added an init script and
installed ifplugd to do link detection on the wired interface.  At
boot time, if I'm plugged in, the wired interface gets brought up and
if it isn't, the wireless interface gets started.  In the init script
I do this just before calling ifup eth1 to make sure that the
regulatory daemon is running:

if ! ps -C ipw3945d> /dev/null 2>&1; then
    /sbin/ipw3945d --quiet> /dev/null 2>&1
fi

It didn't want to start up right the first time after boot.  I'm
pretty sure I read on the ipw3945 list or website that some other
folks had this problem too.  I haven't tried it, but I'm wondering if
switching /sbin/ipw3945d --quiet and /sbin/modprobe in the
modprobe.conf entry would make this work better.  The module needs the
daemon to start, and calling it as it is shown in the INSTALL doc
seems backwards to me.

Anyway, hope this helps you along a little.  I'll be happy to try and
figure out what's different between my setup and yours if you need
more help getting things up and running.

- --
When a man says he approves of something in principle, it means he
hasn't the slightest intention of carrying it out in practice.
    -- Prince Otto