Re: HOWTO: On-access virus scanning on FC5

Howdy,

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 09:35 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> HOWTO: On-access virus scanning on FC5
> by Kevin Kofler
>
> This HOWTO describes how to enable on-access virus scanning with Clamuko (clamd
> and Dazuko, i.e. using only Free Software) on Fedora Core 5. It should also
> work on older Fedora releases. Unlike other methods to install Dazuko on
> Fedora, no kernel recompile is needed, only a compilation of a small module
> against the running kernel, thanks to patches developed by Sami Tikka and me.
>
> WARNINGS AND IMPORTANT NOTES:
> * Given the current malware landscape, on-access virus scanning is usually NOT
> NEEDED on GNU/Linux systems. So unless you're really paranoid, these
> instructions are useful only to protect directories shared with more vulnerable
> systems.

Based on the following, this may change PDQ :-((

Virus threatens PCs running Linux or Windows

Hackers have released a sample code for a virus that could infect both
Linux and Windows PCs.

Full article at,
http://www.computerworld.com.sg/ShowPage.aspx?pagetype=2&articleid=3714&pubid=3&issueid=87

<snip>