Re: auch, postgresql

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 22:34:34 +0200,
  Marcel Janssen <korgull@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Very stupid of me, but even more stupid of the designers of postgresql I
> think. Shouldn't there be any until to convert to a new format when a things
> change to a new format ?

There is, and the way to do that is to do a dump with the old server running
(preferably with the new client) and then load that data into the new server.

It is hard to make a general upgrade program when the underlying system
catalogs change. There has been discussion about having some major releases
not make changes that make an in place binary upgrade tool hard to write, but
this hasn't happened yet. Minor releases don't force dump and reloads.