Re: Installing FC from internet

On 11/04/06, Gordon Messmer < yinyang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ali Helmy wrote:
> I already chose a good fedora mirror to work from which is:
> http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/
>
> Ok, so the installer asks me for the web-site name and the Fedora Core
> Directory...
> what should I enter to that?

Name: zeniiia.linux.org.uk
Directory: /pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/

Thanks mate, but I had to modify it to
Directory: /pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/

for the installer to find the /Fedora/base/stage2.img file it needed :)

Retrieving Fedora/base/stage2.img :)

--
Cheers,
     A. Helmy

Ok, now the installer correctly downloaded stage2.img, then popped up saying hello to fedora... after strting anaconda, still in just red/blue interface, it proceeded to ask me about a few things regarding partitioning and where i wanted fedora installed...

then, it said retrieving installation information, went to about 9%, then an error came-out:
Unable to read package metadata. This maybe due to a missing repodata directory. Pleas ensure that your install tree has been correctly generated. failure: repodata/repodata.xml from anaconda [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Then it presented me with only one option: Exit!

What went wrong? my internet connetion is still working and running, apparently... so what happened?

--
Cheers,
     A. Helmy

What I just noticed, though, is that http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os does infact contain a directory named /repodata, but this directory however, does not have a repodata.xml file in it...

However, now i just checked the ftp site for the same mirror [ ftp://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/repodata] and that has a repomod.xml file... so maybe i read the error wrongly... I'll try now and let you lads know

PS: i know this is sort of turning into a journal, but i was thinking maybe it could be useful later to me, or to other people who might wanna try this later...

--
Cheers,
     A. Helmy