Re: 'yum --enablerepo' command (Newbie).

Brian Durant wrote:
Gordon Messmer wrote:

AFAIK, the "w32codec" package contains DLLs taken from Windows, which are executable i386 files. They're only going to be available for i386 platforms.

DLLs from Windows in Linux?

Yes.

I didn't realize that DLLs from Windows are used in Linux.

In some cases, such as mplayer, they are. mplayer uses Wine code to load the DLLs and use them to decode multimedia files for which there are no Free Software implementations.

I mean, I can understand open and closed source software running on Linux, but Windows DLLs would just open Linux to Win viruses, wouldn't it?

Possibly, but unlikely in this specific case.