RE: Login scripts?

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 14:02 +0200, Tomas Larsson wrote:
> Ok, Found it. It seems that I'm using UTF8 and so on, however how to
> set the character set to 8859-1,

Are you sure that you need to.  Anything that you can display in
iso-8859-1 is also a part of UTF-8 (and in the same location).

> I assume that encoding and characterset are two different things.

Yes, though in practice they may often be used interchangeably, or to
mean the same thing (when they really shouldn't).

Character set - the set of characters that can be displayed (e.g. A-Z,
and the rest).  You may notice that some fonts can only display part of
the character set (e.g. some fancy fonts for page titles might not
include lower-case letters).

Encoding - the scheme used to represent each character (e.g. "A" might
be character sixty-five in one encoding scheme).  Think of it like Morse
code, where to transmit and receive characters a representative code is
used in the middle.

UTF-8 is an encoding scheme used for Unicode.  Unicode can also be
encoded with other schemes (UTF-7, UTF-16, etc.).

I read messages from the public lists.