Re: MP3 files in Linux how to play them?!!!!!

Ivan Evstegneev wrote:
On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 19:02 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
Ivan Evstegneev wrote:
Does someone can please explain me what is going on with mp3 files on
linux?
Simply put, software patents prevent its codec(s) from being legally distributed
Freely.

Is there are some "other" ways to listen to the mp3? And
The unofficial Fedora FAQ[1] will help you here (though currently not updated
for FC5).

If it is some stupid politics, so why M$ don't do the same things? Why
they still permit the use of winamp an etc? This is stinks...
They pay for the license to use the codec and in some cases like WinAmp, freely
(for no cost) distribute them.

[1] http://www.fedorafaq.org/

I saw this site... but it helpless. I tried to install all of those
"mp3-plugins" and the actual answer I got was like this one:
[root@localhost ~]# yum install xmms-mp3
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
core
[1/3]
core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
00:00
extras
[2/3]
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB
00:00
updates
[3/3]
updates                   100% |=========================|  951 B
00:00
Parsing package install arguments
No Match for argument: xmms-mp3
Nothing to do
I even installed amarok but there was the same story. I will gladly
listen to the other ideas...

You need to install an unofficial repository before this will work, because like core, the official Extras repository also does not distribute "non-free" software. I use livna, some use freshrpms/dag, you can use either but it is generally not a good idea to use both.
To use livna, simply run the following command (as root):
rpm -Uvh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release5.rpm
This puts the appropriate .repo files where yum can use them, in /etc/yum.repos.d/, so now you will be able to install packages available from livna such as xmms-mp3, xine, mplayer, vlc, and the proprietary drivers for ati (fglrx), nvidia, ntfs, and madwifi, to name a few.
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora

-Dan