Re: Can LVM1 read an LVM2 volume?

   Following this discussion:
William Murray wrote:
        From: William Murray <W J Murray rl ac uk> To: fedora-list
        Subject: Can LVM1 read an LVM2 volume? Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006
        10:37:39 +0100  Hello all,
                       I would like to read my FC5 LVM disks, duak booted with
                an old
                (~RHEL3) system. If I try vgscan or pvscan on the RHEL 3 machine
                there
                is nothing  visible.
        Should I (can I ) remove the lvm layer from FC5?
                   Or would it be easier to graft lvm2 into RHEL 3?
You might try using the trick I used to workaround #186395 in reverse:

Copy /sbin/lvm.static from your FC5 box to somewhere on the RHEL3
partition (don't overwrite the /sbin/lvm.static from RHEL3 though).
Let's say you put it in /root/lvm.static
Then, in RHEL3, try:

/root/lvm.static vgscan
If that seems to work, try:
/root/lvm.static vgchange -ay

Paul.
unfortunately this does not work. I get a 'FATAL: kernel is too old'
error. So I guess I should de-lvm my disk? Is this possible?
        Bill