Re: [Flame Bait] - Linux as bloatware

Steffen Kluge wrote:
On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 22:55 -0700, Stephen Mirowski wrote:
I don't use Evolution; however, if I uninstall it, deps would remove Gnome

Not on this machine (FC4). Attempting to "yum remove evolution" gives:

Removing:
 evolution               i386  2.2.3-3.fc4  installed    24 M
Removing for dependencies:
 evolution-connector     i386  2.2.3-1.fc4  installed   6.5 M

You probably tried to remove evolution-data-server as well. Its
functionality is used beyond the evolution mail client:

        Description :
        The evolution-data-server package provides a unified backend for
        programs that work with contacts, tasks, and calendar
        information.
It was originally developed for Evolution (hence the name), but
        is now used by other packages.

Cheers
Steffen.

Thanks.

I like how Mandrake/iva shows the deps when installing. Fedora just does it and
doesn't say why.

And frankly, the install log Fedora generates in root is useless. I would have expect
details and descriptions of dep resolves and what not.