Re: Found, a new rootkit

Les Mikesell wrote:
On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 16:03, Mike McCarty wrote:

MSDOS does *not* use interrupt driven I/O on those ports. It uses
BIOS calls, specifically INT 14h. For example, from Ralph Brown's
interrupt list

I don't see how trusting bios equates to secure code.

It doesn't. And I didn't say so. Any system with external
connections only enjoys relative security. I don't "trust"
BIOS. But the BIOS code is there regardless of whether
Linux or MSDOS or whatever OS (or even no OS) sits on top
of it.

Precisely. And unless an application invokes MSDOS, it will never
do anything to the serial port, nor will the BIOS.

You can say the same for the keyboard - and the input devices
are more or less interchangeable.  The application might be
COPY.

I don't follow the point.

If there is more code, there is more exposure. MSDOS has much less
code than Linux and the Linux drivers for the serial ports.

I think you need to take quality of code into account in a
statement like that.

Certainly. But no matter how carefully crafted, more code
equates to more exposure.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.