Re: Instant Messenger

On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 22:24 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 13:37 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> > I have been using the "Instant Messenger" (gaim) on FC
> > and there is on thing that has been annoying me so far.
> >
> > I am getting bombarded with authorization request to be
> > allowed buddy access and I was forced to 'Deny' authorization
> > every time it pops up, which in some cases is very persistent!
>
> There's a separate "privacy" control available through a menu in the
> main window.  It has options for who's supposed to be able to reach you.
> However, I find it doesn't always seem to do what it advertises.  I also
> find it doesn't always stay as I set it (e.g. resetting from only users
> on your list can contact you, back to only the users listed below are
> blocked).
>
> Until recently this hadn't been a problem, as I'd not seen any ICQ spam
> for years.  But now I'm getting a couple a night, quite often.  If it
> weren't for the fact that some people I chat with only having ICQ, I'd
> probably ditch it.  I dislike this problem, plus how it advertises your
> IP address to everyone all of the time (not just providing the
> information when you consent to a connection).
>
> Additionally, if you want it so that the other person is unable to add
> you to their list without your permision, I think you're dependent on
> having set such a preference with the real ICQ client, and they must be
> using an obedient client.

Yes, that is what I am experiencing still, even as I changed my
privacy to say: "Allow only the users on my Buddy List", and yet
the Authorization Request still pops up over and over for the
same persistent requester.  I am going to drop ICQ forever
on gaim on FC if this keeps on going. I suspect that this is done
automatically by some spammer who wants to gain illegal access via ICQ
perhaps.

BTW: Since I am on a dual-boot system and M$ is on it, I have NEVER
had this problem with Trillian on M$ which is a universal IM as well. I
suspect Gaim does not follow more stringent security controls on
aggressive IM requesters.

Thanks for responding,
Dan