Re: How to copy a Fedora-4 system? Again!

On 9 Apr 2006 at 15:08, Timothy Murphy wrote:

To:             	fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
From:           	Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date sent:      	Sun, 09 Apr 2006 15:08:20 +0100
Subject:        	How to copy a Fedora-4 system? Again!
Send reply to:  	tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

> > So my query is: how exactly should one copy a Fedora-4 system
> > to another partition?
>
> I asked this question a couple of days ago,
> and received quite a lot of responses.
>
> However, I tried out all the suggestions,
> and none of them worked,
> which leads me to think that none of the "advisors"
> had actually tested their advice.
>
> I should say that dd is not appropriate
> since the source is not all in one partition,
> as perhaps I should have made clear;
> /usr , /usr/share and /usr/local are all in separate partitions,
> although I planned to have one large / partition for the new system
> (using an old Windows partition for this purpose).
>
> The problem, as I see it, is: which directories should one exclude?
> In particular, if I copied /dev then the system booted,
> but there were a number of errors reported during the boot,
> and a number of services did not start.
> If I didn't copy /dev the re-boot seemed to hang when init starts.
>
> Has anyone actually made a copy of an FC-4 system with success,
> using tar, cp -a, rsync or anything similar?
> If so, which directories did you exclude?

Not sure if this would work for you, but it is something I did recently.
Had a Fedora Core 4 system that had a 40GB hard drive that was reporting
via smart that the drive was going to fail shortly. I used g4l to copy the entire
disk image to a 200GB drive using G4L, which uses dd. This copied the two
partitions to the drive, and then I created another volume with the extra
space. The only problem I ran into, was the initrd didn't include the SATA
driver, so I had make one with it, and copy it to the drive after booting from
the rescue CD. Then it booted fine.

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
>
> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx