Re: Starting shorewall

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Try editing /etc/rc.d/init.d/shorewall and changing the line:
> # chkconfig: - 25 90
> # chkconfig: - 55 90
>
> Then do:
> # chkconfig --del shorewall
> # chkconfig --add shorewall
> # chkconfig shorewall on
>
> That should fix the position for all runlevels.

Thanks for your advice.
This puts shorewall in a sensible position in /etc/rc.d/rc[35].d/
(after my WiFi LAN has started),
so that it seems to start correctly - no error is reported.

I've also turned iptables off.

However, shorewall still does not seem to work
until I run "sudo service shorewall restart" after logging in.

As I said, this does not cause any difficulty,
as I very rarely re-boot the machine.
It simply causes puzzlement.

I'm wondering if it could have anything to do with udev?
The reason I ask is that I also have some mount commands in rc.local ,

/bin/mount /dev/hda1 /www
/bin/mount /dev/hda2 /martha
/bin/mount /dev/hda3 /elizabeth
/bin/mount /dev/hda5 /alfred

and these also fail, with the statement that these devices do not exist,
although exactly the same commands work (as superuser)
once I have logged in.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366