Re: Replacing gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 06:44:13PM -0400, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 08:06 -0400, Johnny wrote:
>
> > I'd like to replace gnome-screensaver with xscreensaver.  I'd tried:
> >
> >     $ killall gnome-screensaver
> >     $ xscreensaver
> >     $ gnome-session-save
> >
> > but alas, when I log out and back in I find that gnome-screensaver is
> > running and xscreensaver is not.  I'm looking for a more elegant
> > solution than deleting the gnome-screensaver executable and copying
> > xscreensaver in its place, although that solution is looking more and
> > more attractive.  Thanks.
>
>      In order to install xscreensaver, you must install
> xscreensaver-base, xscreensaver-extras, xscreensaver-gl-extras.  Then
> you must remove gnome-screensaver by "yum -y remove gnome-screensaver".
> When you go to "System-Preferences-Screensaver", you will find that the
> gnome-screensaver is no longer there. I hope that this helps.

Okay, thanks for the information, and thanks as well to Stanton Finley
who offered similar advice.  Since I already have all the xscreensaver
packages installed, it seems like the only way to prevent
gnome-screensaver from running is to remove it.

This means that the screensaver selection is a system-wide preference,
rather than a user preference, and that it's not possible to switch
back and forth without removing and reinstalling gnome-screensaver to
make the switch.

I guess I can live with that though.  At least I have xscreensaver and
its amazing collection of hacks back.  Thanks again for that.