FC5 sendmail no AUTH?

I'm setting up my mail server on my new FC5 installation and I don't
get any SMTP AUTH.  The sendmail.mc file has
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN)dnl
but if I telnet into my sendmail or run it from the command line with
-bs -Am I still don't get any 250-AUTH.  The maillog shows AUTH
warning: no mechnisms.  I've remade the sendmail.cf file and
restarted sendmail and saslauthd.  I've created a valid user with
saslpasswd2 and I can see it with sasldblistusers2.

Is sendmail as it comes not compiled for SMTP AUTH?  Could the sasl
libraries not be in the right place (/usr/lib/sasl2)?  This all
worked just fine on my FC3 machine that I'm trying to replace.

Thanks,

--
Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...