Re: Looking for the rpm of pstill

Paul Smith wrote:
On 4/8/06, Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does somebody know of some site where from one could download a rpm of pstill?
Seems to be shareware.  Will ps2pdf not do?

Now, ps2pdf works fine, Andy. However, pstill produces pdf files with
higher quality. I have just tried it and I can confirm that with a
same ps file.

Fair enough. Just from interest what direction is the 'quality' issue with ps2pdf coming from? Fonts?

The Linux version of pstill (it's a binary) has some unclear conditions for packaging.

    24 2. Distribution and usage is subject to the following conditions
     25
26 You are allowed to put the pstill package on a public ftp server or CDROM 27 provided that the package is unchanged and not downloading fee is charged.
     28
29 You are not allowed to distribute PStill together with a license key
     30 except by written license agreement.
     31
32 You are not allowed to distribute PStill without this COPYRIGHT file.
     33
34 PStill must not be bundled with any other program/product without written
     35 consent of the author, Frank Siegert
     36
37 An unlicensed PStill must not be used in any commercial environment.
     38
     39 You must keep the PStill license key secret.
     40
41 You are alone responsible for any copyright violations the inclusion of fonts 42 in generated pdf files might inflict. please read your font license agreement
     43 before distributing such pdfs files.

I think the author can package it himself if he likes.

-Andy