Re: Found, a new rootkit

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 14:56 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> If my MSDOS machine were connected, and someone bombarded the serial
> port, all that would happen is that the bits would fall on the floor,
> and the overrun error bit would get set in the UART. With Linux,
> interrupts would be generated, and the driver would accept the bytes,
> buffer them, and eventually dump the input. (Unless something has
> changed since the last time I looked at the Linux serial drivers.)

Are you saying that unexpected data coming through your COM port
wouldn't generate IRQ messages (COM ports have an IRQ), which would be
kicking the CPU quite hard?  That's not exactly a trivial thing to
ignore.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.