Azureus open ports - security problem?

Have in the past used (with FC4) Bittorrent with my firewall which tests as "stealth" when tested with shieldsup on https://www.grc.com. I did not need to do anything special with regard to opening up my firewall to expose a certain port. Perhaps Bittorrent has a way around this.

Azureus is a different matter. Apparently I need to open the firewall to expose certain ports for it to work. Otherwise, I get the infamous "NAT problem" when configuring it. If that is the case, isnt this a security problem with port(s) open when Azureus is not in use. Surely not many are going go thru an open & close port cycle after every use of Azureus.