lightscribe on fc5?

Hi,

I bought an HP dvd740 dvd burner a while back and it has their proprietary disc labeling technology that allows you to burn a disc, then flip it over and it will etch an image or text of the label, into the disc itself.  The software also will, I believe, allow you to put a gif or some such image on there if you want that instead.

I have the cd that came with it.  Is there a plugin that will have me install that cd ok?  Does wine work allright for something like this?  I would really like to exclude the proprietary sw and just work directly with the hardware and os, if at all possible.

Another strategy might be to try to reverse engineer the way it burns.  Obviously the hardware has the burning capability and I have the media that supports it as well.  Would anyone know if this has been done already?  I would think with the right command line options you could 'force' the burner to burn text for example.

Any help is appreciated -
Marc