Re: finding library routines

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
I'm trying to compile a program that calls MD5Init().  The command
"man 3 md5" shows the usage for MD5Init(), but doesn't indicate which
library to link with to get the function.  Running "nm" on the likely
candidates (like /lib64/libssl.so gives me.

           $ nm -Agp /usr/lib64/libssl.so
           nm: /usr/lib64/libssl.so: no symbols

A stripped library???  How does that work?  How is one supposed to
link against it or even find out what is in it?

If the man page doesnt' mention the library name containing a
function, how is one supposed to find it?

-wolfgang

The .a libraries aren't stripped, at least on my box. Ran nm on libgnutls-openssl.a, found it. This is an FC3 box.

As for the bad man page, bugzilla is recommended.

Regards,

John