Re: Need help with wireless config.

Bob Goodwin wrote:
I am still struggling with this wireless connection. In most cases system-config-network does a reasonable job of setting up configuration for me but I'm not sure what it's doing for "wireless?" The adapter card is plugged into a PCI slot but it keeps calling it eth1 or eth2, it looks to me like it ought to be wlan0?

Wlassistant indicates it is having trouble with routing but I don't know what to enter there and there is no man page:
wlassistant
kbuildsycoca running...
Loaded application options.
DHCP Client: dhclient
All executables found.
iwconfig_status: /sbin/iwconfig
==>stderr: lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

sit0      no wireless extensions.

Wireless interface(s): wlan0
Permissions checked.
ifconfig_status: /sbin/ifconfig wlan0
scan: /sbin/iwlist wlan0 scan
Networks found: 1
Checking for active connection.
Trying to get gateway address...
...from 'route'
No default gateway.
Checking for active connection.
Trying to get gateway address...
...from 'route'
No default gateway.
Checking for active connection.
Trying to get gateway address...
...from 'route'
No default gateway.

Iwconfig provides the following:
iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any Mode:Auto Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:20 dBm Sensitivity=-109 dBm RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B Encryption key:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

Route shows as follows:
route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 10.1.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 169.254.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 default 10.1.1.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

I think I should be able to browse to 192.168.1.1 and see the router set up screen from this computer via the Linksys WMP54G adapter card. Wlassistant indicates that I have a good quality signal on channel 6. But iwconfig shows zero signal? I guess if I could satisfy the routing requirement it would begin to work.

Can anyone tell me what to do next?

Bob Goodwin

I spent a lot of time trying to get my Linksys WPC54Gv2 CardBus adapter to work with ndiwsrapper in FC5. It works like a champ in Ubuntu Breezy Badger without any special problems.

For FC5, one thing I found necessary was to download the WPC54Gv2 drivers from the ndiswrapper site - the ones on my CD would not work properly with the current ndiswrapper. I found it did not matter whether I used the FC5 ndiswrapper package or installed from the tarball.

I was only able to get it to work with no encryption. When I tried to use WEP encryption, the machine froze when I entered the key.

I gave up. I finally purchased a refurbished madwifi-supported Netgear WG511T CardBus adapter on e-bay for $15.50 bid plus $5.00 shipping. I uninstalled ndiswrapper, installed madwifi, did a lot of incantations - see a previous thread titled "Unable to get Atheros based drivers working" - and eventually got the card configured properly and it is working great now.

I was also given an Avaya 802.11b card (11Mbs) which just works when I plug it in and do a simple config in system-network-config -t has native Linux support. It was recognized on boot, designated eth1, and when I set it up and activated it using my WEP configuration, it worked immediately.

Both cards now work whenever I plug them in and use them.

Gerry