Re: Minicom Connection Over Serial Port To PIC18F452 Device

Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I'm trying to use minicom on Fedora Core 4 to speak to a PIC18F452 chip
> which contains a preloaded version of the Microchip TCP/IP stack. I
> built the device myself from a kit; it is intended to be a small web
> server. My objective is to assign an IP address to the RTL9019AS
> ethernet controller. This can be accomplished over a setup menu that
> appears in the minicom window. I suspect I have incorrect minicom settings.
>
> Serial device -- /dev/TTYS0 connected to development board Max232 chip
>
> setup for 19200 bps,8N1, software flow control, VT102 emulation
>
> iptables service is stopped
>
> When I connect, the setup program appears. It is just a menu with 8
> choices. In fact, the setup menu sometimes displays itself twice.
>
> I select an option say 2 to set the IP address. The device very
> sensibily responds with the default ip address. I type in a new IP
> address to reflect my actual network.
>
> If I try to select 2 to check the default IP address, it again sensibly
> responds with the new IP address that I just gave it. So far, so good.
>
> Then I select the option to save the new IP address. a message is
> returned which is usually the new IP address itself.
>
> Attempts to ping that IP address fail.
>
> Then I start the setup menu again in a new minicom window. The original
> -- default -- IP address appears.
>
> So it seems like the option to save the IP address isn't working right.
> Things are apparently lost when I restart the device.
>
> Is this a minicom software issue, or is it bad soldering on my part with
> the actual device being tested? I'm quite willing to agree it may have
> soldering issues.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob Cochran

I would suspect a hardware or firmware problem on the device. If it
were a minicom problem, you would not be able to access the menus on
the device, or see the changed IP address.

Dumb question - how does the device save the changed settings? Is is
an EEPROM, battery powered static RAM like the CMOS that saves BIOS
settings, or what? If it is batter powered RAM, make sure you are
getting power to the proper pins when you remove power.

Mikkel