Re: Questions about the new mount system: "gnome-mount"?

Tim wrote:
Tim:

Unless you're in the habit of removing the floppy disk drive from your
PC, you may as well remove the kudzu option.

Mike McCarty:

I put that in when I first installed the drive, and wanted it
detected. Due to inertia, I haven't taken that part back out.

Interesting...  Are you sure you had to put that in?  Normally kudzu
will find hardware, and write the line in (the whole thing), itself.
It's the converse of what you did.

Actually, I think you're right. I think kudzu wrote it. Anyway,
inertia being what it is, it'll probably remain there :-)

Putting in kudzu doesn't make kudzu discover the floppy, but the kudzu
option marks that fstab line as something being managed by kudzu, and
may be removed by kudzu automatically.

I had to take out kudzu lines for my CD-ROM and burner, as they were
being mounted as cdrom and cdrom1, which gave me no clue as to which was
which, and it wasn't always the same drive for cdrom1, each time,
either.

I have had that problem with USB drives, as well, though not marked
with kudzu. The problem I've experienced is that with my USB
drive, it may wind up on /dev/sda1 or /dev/sde1 from boot to boot,
even though I use the same USB port. I put two entries into /etc/fstab,
and used whichever worked. I no longer have a USB drive, so it
doesn't matter (though, inertia being what it is, both entries
survive unscathed in my /etc/fstab :-)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.