Re: FC5 breaks Accelrys InsightII

Jack Howarth <howarth <at> bromo.msbb.uc.edu> writes:

>     I understand the origin of the breakage of InsightII by
> Fedora Core 5 a little better now. It appears that the InsightII
> 2005 scripts were automatically setting...
>
> setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL  2.4.9
>
> which Fedora Core 4 tolerates. Under glibc 2.4 of FC5, this
> causes the error...
>
> ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

> rendering all binaries unusable. However if I don't set the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
> environmental I get the error...
>
> /usr/accelrys/I2005/Linux_2_Intel_32/biosym_exe/insightII: relocation error:
> /usr/accelrys/I2005/Linux_2_Intel_32/biosymso/libcblib.so: symbol errno,
version GLIBC_2.0 not
> defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
>
> Anyone know what LD_ASSUME_KERNEL settings are valid in glibc 2.4?

Usually programs do LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.9 when they use the old LinuxThreads
and not NPTL.  glibc 2.4 removed LinuxThreads support and only supports NPTL.
Unless you can get a newer version of the software which uses NPTL, you can't
run it with FC5.  You might be able to run the software with VMware, Xen, or a
chroot to an FC4 or earlier environment.

There is a useful page, http://people.redhat.com/drepper/assumekernel.html,
which talks about LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and the different values and what they mean.

 - Ian