Re: user $PATH problem

Gene Heskett wrote:

Adding it to ~/.bash_profile seems to allow it to survive the pathmunge'ing being done in /etc/profile, so I'm A) confused as to why it does, and B) in any event, is there a good reason to dis-allow access to /usr/local/sbin for the normal user?
I think it is just a matter of minimizing the number of commands that an ordinary user sees. Most of what's in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin requires root privileges to do anything useful anyway. That said, I agree that /usr/sbin and /usr/local/sbin should be on amanda's path, and I've also modified my local systems so that amanda's ~/.profile sets PATH to /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin.

Stephen Walton