Re: ARP requests on my net?

Mike McCarty wrote:

>>> Thank you. I thought I was beginning to lose my mind,
>>> or had completely missed the boat on TCP/IP.
>>

>> TCP works over all kinds of media.  Some kinds are point-to-point
>
> Yes, AIUI, TCP is layer 4. IP, Frame Relay, SLIP, PPP, etc.
> can form the layer 3.
>
>> like serial links where whatever you put into one end comes
>> out in only one place at the other.  Ethernet is a broadcast
>> media where all stations on the subnet could see what any of
>> them send, but they don't want to.  The MAC address lets
>> everything that doesn't want your packet ignore it efficiently,
>> and to put the MAC address in the packet the sender must
>> first find the one corresponding to the TCP address via ARP.
>
> So my Linux machine is asking for router's MAC address so it
> can dump packets destined for the router?

Ahhh....no.....

It is asking for the MAC address so it can dump packets destined for the
*next hop*.

When it arrives at your router, the router determines that the IP
address in the IP portion of the header is not its IP address.  It will
determine the next hop's MAC address...many different ways to do
this...and send the packet on its way.  This is repeated over and over
until the *destination IP* address is reached.

traceroute www.google.com

will give you an idea of how many times that could happen.

--
Lonely is a man without love.
		-- Englebert Humperdinck