Re: Are RWs a problem?

Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 17:44 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

The only thing that works on my machine is

(1) Insert the disc
(2) If it was blank, wait for the CD Maker to start, then kill it
(3) If it was not blank, wait for it to mount, start a CLI, and umount it
(4) Start or continue with K3b.

----
but to be accurate...this is on FC-2 and things have changed a bit since
then.

I don't know whether this particular thing has changed, but I doubt it.
Certainly some things have changed.

----

I never have approved of auto mouting like this. IMO, MicroSoft products
handle removable media better than UNIX like OSs, especially floppies.

----
I'm not sure what you mean - Windows will automount a CD, Linux will
automount a CD. I know that EZ-CD Creator will prevent automounting a CD

My MSDOS machine does not automount anything. I also dislike the way
Windows automounts CDROMS. Windows does not automount floppies.

that is inserted if EZ-CD is foreground application - but I do recall
CD's automounting when inserted even when K3b is foreground application.
So perhaps, this still might not be a suitable method.

I'm not Windows-aware enough to know about that, but it would make
sense not to automount when something else is already trying to use
the device. OTOH, there would need to be a way of registering that,
either as a system call [flock()?] or in a configuration file.

As for floppies...I dunno - Windows is pretty non-responsive to other
stuff when formatting/writing to a floppy, whereas Linux just buffers
it...but that does mean that to flush the buffers, it is necessary to
unmount it first. It would seem that both approaches have their
benefits/drawbacks.

Well, nearly every decision I've made in my life, with very few
exceptions, was some sort of compromise. Formatting a floppy
should not make the machine slow. That sounds like a non-interrupt
polling method for handling the disc. I'm also not savvy enough
about the floppy disc I/F to know whether it *can* interrupt,
though I did at one time write a program which could format
a 360K floppy (before IOCTL() took over the job from the BIOS),
and could display/mark/unmark bad sectors on them, as well
as map them (looking for scratches).

IINM, sync will also flush pending writes to a floppy with Linux.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.