Re: Can't open display:

>> I there is a "-nolisten" option to the X server which tells it not to
>> listen on port 6000. I this is the problem in your case you should >> see it in the process table (ps -ef). When nolisten is on, only
>> local processes can connect to the display.

Gates, Robert L . wrote:
Bob,
You are on to something. My ps -ef does show that nolisten was passed to
the command stream. Now, the question is, where do I go to modify this
behavior?

/etc/gdm/custom.conf

#DisallowTCP=true

Uncomment and change to false.  Restart gdm.

Please bear in mind that opening up remote X isn't a great idea from a security point of view. Using X tunnelling though ssh is a much better idea. (Simply do ssh -X user@hostname from your remote machine).

Simon.