Re: Wiring help?

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 15:36 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> Hi
>
> I appreciate this is OT but could some one guide me to some
> documentation that describes the difference between structured and
> unstructured cabling. Basically I just bought some cabling to attach
> my server to the switch, but someone just told me that what I bought
> was structured cabling and not good for this type of job.
>
> Also should the switch to server wiring be shielded or unshielded?
>
> Thanks for your patience
> Dan

Dan,

Ethernet cabling?

It should be unshielded, and pinned per the EIA/TIA 568B standards.  At
least that's the most common method in the US.

I couldn't figure out what the difference between structured and
non-structured was.  Other than how it is routed in the premise and
equipment racks.

CAT-5 or better is what I have used for 100Mb and Gig Ethernet.

Bob...