Re: very strange connection problem on FC5 installation (SOLVED)

--- Tod Merley <todbot88@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/2/06, Globe Trotter <itsme_410@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > OK, after looking around on the web somewhat (on Windoze), I found the
> > problem.
> > Turns out that this was a well-documented problem, except that it took me
> > an
> > upgrade to hit it....turns out that the linux kernel which runs my modem
> > actually had a bug. It is well-documented on the web. So, I played around
> > with
> > it some more and a lot. But then half-an-hour found that Qwest had
> > released a
> > firmware upgrade ten days ago...
> >
> > Miraculously, this has solved the problem which apparently was that
> > addresses
> > routinely got assigned 1.0.0.0 and so went nowhere, without any notice.
> >
> > Isn't it funny, how Qwest refuses to support anything other than MS and
> > then,
> > underlying their modem is a true linux operating system?
> >
> > Anyway, so a wasted weekend later, I have a sort of working modem....sort
> > of,
> > because who knows what other problems are there? Upgrading to FC5 brought
> > this
> > to the fore....
> >
> > By the way, the modem in question is ActiontecG701-WT by Qwest.
> >
> > Thanks to Craig for helping!
> > Best,
> > Trotter

> Hi Trotter!
>
> My Quest supplied ActiontecG701-WG responded to IPv6 DNS queries with the
> same 1.0.0.0 address.  I found the easiest way arround it was to remove the
> modem's address (192.168.0.1) from /etc/resolv.conf (there was another
> nameserver to use).
>
> I did not see anything about a Kernal issue related to this?  To what do you
> refer.
>
> In the process I learned that Firefox has one network related parameter to
> disable the use of IPv6 DNS queries.  Perhaps this is more common than we
> know.
>
> Perhaps it should be filed as a bug with a suggested fix to check for a
> valad response address?
>
> Thanks for the note!
>
> Tod

Hi Tod,

I was about to telnet into my modem and try to fix the problem. However, have
you upgraded to the latest firmware for this modem (released on 16th March
2006)? Is the bug still there. Upgrading seems to have "worked" for me....

Best,
Trotter