Re: Installing FC5 on pre-partitioned /dev/hdb

On 4/3/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday 02 April 2006 20:52, Les Mikesell wrote:
[...]
>> So how can I bypass this "thing from hell" and get to actually doing
>> the install, and do it where I want it?
>
>I'd stay away from text mode.  Do the reverse-vnc connection if
>you have to to get a graphic screen for the setup.

I tried the gui, and that did work as I wanted it, so the install is
done, and nearly everything is installed.  SElinux is turned off, as
was iptables after I'd fixed all the other stuff re the labels by
taking them back out of the copy of fstab on hdb.  So labels are no
longer a concern since theres none in the hda copy of fstab either.
I am already behind a more than adequate firewall.

3 immediate problems:

1) networking is so slow it took it about 6 hours to do the yum update
once I'd gotten it booted.  Those 69 packages shouldn't have taken more
than 10 minutes or so on a 256/1.5 dsl connection.  Is there a fix for
that other than reverting to my homemade 2.6.16.1?  None of my homemade
kernels has ever exhibited network performance like that.  Maybe it
didn't have the forcedeth driver available?

2)  evolution, although it has all the data filled in properly, cannot
login and get my email from incoming.verizon.net.  fetchmail had no
problems once I'd rebooted to FC2.  I got the feeling it wasn't using
the pop3 protocol correctly, but then neither does verizon as the login
and password are exchanged in the clear.

 try this

3) where do I edit, and what, to make it use kde instead of gnome?

The older switchdesk utility wasn't fully installed for some reason, and
doesn't seem to be available via yum.

At login screen choose session and select option that comes, to make it default.

--
Anil Kumar Shrama