help in USB ports numbering/identification

Hi,

I am having hard time trying to connect a device designed as save-disk
for digital cameras to a FC3/FC4 machines. The device is marked USB 2.0
High Speed and carries also memory card reader (3 slots).

When I connect it to the PC, I get:

usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 8
usb 3-2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
usb-storage: device found at 8
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: DCB       Model:      HS-HD        Rev: 2.23
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sdc: 156301488 512-byte hdwr sectors (80026 MB)
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdc: 156301488 512-byte hdwr sectors (80026 MB)
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc: sdc1
Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi10, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
  Vendor: DCB       Model:      HS-CF        Rev: 2.23
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
Attached scsi removable disk sdd at scsi10, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
... (similar for other memory card slots, just different lun numbers)

So, it works as "full speed" only, with a rate of 1MB/s which is not
acceptable for 80GB disk.

At first I though the first two lines mean that the USB port used is not
capable of High Speed. But then I connected to the VERY SAME port
another device - memory card reader (no disk) and got:

usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 12
usb-storage: device found at 12
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: SMSC      Model: USB 2 HS-CF       Rev: 2.16
  Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
SCSI device sdc: 4001760 512-byte hdwr sectors (2049 MB)
... (other slots) ...

So there are two problems:

1. Why does the device not work at 480 Mbps,

2. What do all these USB numbers mean: 1-4, 3-2?
I guessed one of those should should somehow point to the USB port used
but it seems it does not. No single number repeats although the cable
was plugged into the same port.

any ideas, explanations?

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski (msz at astrouw dot edu dot pl)
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND