Re: FC5 Upgrade: CPU Temperature/Thermal Lockup

So I made two changes and only accounted for one of them. My laptop had a new motherboard and as soon as I got it back I upgraded from FC4 to FC5. I think what has happened is that the sensors are reporting the wrong temperatures on the new motherboard. I found a windows program which also reported the CPU temperature to be very high.

Now I'm trying to build a kernel RPM which has ACPI thermal disabled. I have to do this under VMware on Windows, because building a kernel makes the system lockup almost immediately :(

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable thermal checking from the kernel boot line?

Cheers, Greg.

Greg Kilfoyle wrote:
Hi,

I have a Fujitsu Lifebook N5010 laptop that has been running FC4 for a
long time now. I've just upgraded it to FC5 and it locks up after a
while.

Just before locking up, there is generally some extra CPU activity (over
and above just moving between email, web and text editing) and then a
couple of messages are sent to all terminal sessions:

  sandy kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold
  sandy kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode

As best I can tell, the fan is automatically controlled by the hardware,
without software intervention. Under Windows XP the system behaves fine,
with the fan adjusting automatically to heavy load.

Under Linux the lockup is generally proceeded by the fan increasing
speed but not to its maximum. Running "rpm --rebuilddb" will cause the
messages and lockup. To reset the system I have to remove the power card
and battery - it does not respond to the power button.

I checked some acpi information under /proc/acpi. Just before the last
lockup, a cat of /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRC/temperature showed 74C. A
cat of /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRC/trip_points shows 98C.

Some other things I've tried, all to no avail:

  o add noacpi and nolacpi to the kernel boot line
  o turn off HT (hyper-threading) in the BIOS
  o stop acpid

In case it helps, here the output from lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 645xx (rev 51)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS AGP Port
(virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL
Media IO] (rev 25)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus
Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller
(rev a0)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0
Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0
Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0
Controller
00:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
00:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller
00:09.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7420 CardBus Controller
00:09.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCI7x20 1394a-2000 OHCI
Two-Port PHY/Link-Layer Controller
00:09.3 Mass storage controller: <pci_lookup_name: buffer too small>
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility
Radeon 9600 M10]

I'm running the latest 2080 non-smp kernel.

Cheers, Greg.