Re: Strange hangups on fedora core 4

On 4/2/06, Anil Kumar Sharma <xplusaks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/2/06, Niklaus <niklaus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > My kernel is Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 #1 Thu Jun
> > 2 22:55:56 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux.
> >
> > I have been running it for a long time . My file system is ext3.
> > Whenver i compile a program or untar a file like gcc , all the songs
> > that i am playing stops for around 2 secs  . Even bash doesn't respond
> > for 2 secs. I have 3 Ghz Cpu and 1 GB of RAM and my harddisk is pretty
> > fast.
> >
> > Throughout the 2 secs i can see the harddisk light green. It is
> > accessing the harddisk. I tried hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc. I don't know why
> > but in windows i don't have that problem . I think earlier (about a
> > year ago )i had debian , i never had this problem. Can you help.
> >

> Keep the console open with
> # top -d  .1
> running, choose appropriate fast speed to update (default of top not good
> for 2 sec)
> Also use of nice command may help.

It is few of the processes that are running are taking up huge cpu . I
suspect the kblockd/0
gam_server
kjournald
kblockd
pdflush

I tried a while [ true ] do
dd if=/dev/zero of=./foo &
sleep 10
killall dd
done

I could the above processes shooting up and my mouse not moving .
Nothing was respoding,not even the keyboard lights got toggled when i
pressed num lock.

It killed my firefox. I just don't believe it. Now after few secs
around 30 everything is normal. I really want to get rid of it. Any
suggestions.

If it is kjournald i have used ext3 before i never had this problem .