Re: IMAP (cyrus or ?) or POP (dovecot or ?)

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 10:18 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have been using dovecot for quite some time now, and
> it has worked but it is rather limited for what I want to
> do.  I did not install IMAP because at the time, it was
> too complicated to get it working or setup.
----
you only need to enable IMAP in dovecot configuration and restart
dovecot (I presume since I have never used dovecot)
----
> But now, that I want to use IMAP for the express purpose
> to manage ALL of the user's mailboxes to prevent mailbox
> bloat, or to centralize or redistribute messages to other
> internal email servers.
----
IMAP doesn't necessarily do any of those things that you are wanting to
do...perhaps you need to read up on IMAP.
----
> What do you use or recommend using for managing your
> email server on Fedora, i.e. IMAP or POP?  At this
> time , it seems there are only one of two choices,
> available: Cyrus for IMAP or Dovecot for POP.
----
there are all sorts of choices for a IMAP/POP server but cyrus-imap and
dovecot are the only ones included as part of Fedora core.

Myself, I heavily recommend use of cyrus-imapd as it is truly more
sophisticated, supports multiple data stores, has many 'auto' features
including mailbox creation, IMAP folder subscriptions, public folders,
automatic sieve script creation and 'quotas'

Craig