Re: Atheros Based Cards and Network Manager

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 21:31 -0500, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> As I continue to read this LUG, I am finding out that you can create
> configuration files to work with Atheros-based wireless cards in FC5.  I
> cannot find my wireless card (a Linksys wpc 55ag) in Nework Manager.
> How do you create these configuration files to get these wireless cards
> to work and where are they placed?  I currently am using FC5.  One other
> point - and perhaps this is just my opinion: it is totally unacceptable
> for an operating system to not even be able to find a wireless card
> (which worked perfectly in FC4, I might add) to not be detected, never
> mind getting it to work.  I understand that FC5 has just been released,
> but if you have a major investment in wireless cards, they should be
> able to work once you install the proper drivers.  In my opinion, this
> is a major show stopper which should have been fixed by now, especially
> since a new kernel has already been released.  Well, enough of my
> ranting.  Nevertheless, if this problem is not fixed soon, many people
> are not going to use FC5 on laptops.

If you are going to rant, be careful where you are pointing the finger.
While you are using a new release of Fedora, you are, perhaps
unwittingly and coincidentally, using a new release of the "unsupported"
madwifi driver, known as madwifi-ng.  Under FC4, we were using the old
madwifi code.  Again, this code is being packaged by a kind soul over on
livna.org and also by someone at atrpms.  The reality of wireless is
that other chipsets that are supported/included in FC are, apparently,
working....

I am just not sure who should get the bugzilla on this.  Should it be
reported to Fedora Core - against system-config-network and
NetworkManager; or should it be reported to livna and atrpms to adjust
packaging; or should it be reported to madwifi.org?

As I just pointed out in your earlier thread, I am "getting around" this
using the documented methods of scripting per directions found at
madwifi.org and, on your own machine,
under /usr/share/doc/madwifi-<version>/....

--Rob