Re: Software Raid 5 (FC5)

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Forgive my stupid question... but why on earth would you want to setup
> 10 different RAID 5 array?

I'm not the OP, but one possible reason is to preserve the ability to
add additional drives later.  My music collection originally lived on a
set of RAID-1 devices on two drives, then RAID-5 on three drives, and
now RAID-5 on four drives.  Only enough free space to copy *one* of the
md devices is required.

Using LVM to create a single virtual device out of the md devices may
make sense, *if* you trust pvmove, which the LVM HOWTO claims doesn't
work.

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher@xxxxxxxxxxx