Re: Found, a new rootkit

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 13:02 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings folks;

> In doing some checking of a web server, we found an irc port open on
> 31377, one of the black hatters favorites.  A port that portsentry was
> supposed to be rejecting but wasn't.

> We stumbled over several items over the last few days, but the most
> obvious one was a directory called .sk, located in /usr/share/misc.

	Your subject says "new rootkit" but you haven't said anything about a
"root kit" per se, just a backdoor.  That ".sk" directory could be
(sounds like) the SK rootkit but I would not have expected you to find
it so easily (unless you used something like chrootkit or rkhunter).

	If you haven't run them, run both chrootkit and rkhunter and let us
know what they turn up.  They will identify, by name, rootkits they
find.  If you turned that rootkit so easily, it's entirely possible that
you've still got a rootkit on there that IS effectively hiding itself
(essence of a rootkit is "stealth", not just hiding in a . directory).

	Both are available in FC Extras.  I can highly recommend them both.

--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 985-6132 |  mhw@xxxxxxxxxxxx