Re: FC5 ISA Soundcard not working any more

antonio montagnani wrote:
2006/3/31, antonio montagnani <antonio.montagnani@xxxxxxxxx>:
2006/3/31, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
antonio montagnani wrote:
I have an ISA card (SB Awe) that was working on FC4.
Now after upgrade from FC4 to FC5 it is not working any more.
Something is wrong with system-config-soundcard???

This is the output of the log file after sound configuration tools was
used. Any idea?????
Computer is fully updated
I believe that ISA support in the kernel was removed. It was either in
the kernel or something directly related to ISA sound cards in user land.

Slightly unsure,
Jim
---
What does it mean??

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Jim

it is very strange.
If I modprobe snd-sbawe, sound works, even if soundconfig doesn't work
(this maybe connected to ISA, i.e. soundconfig may work only on PCI
cards....)

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

do you see any mistake in my modprobe.conf file???

# Note: for use under 2.4, changes must also be made to modules.conf!
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
#alias snd-card-0 sb
#options sound dmabuf=1
#options opl3 io=0x388
#alias synth0 awe_wave
#options sb isapnp=1
#install awe_wave /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
awe_wave && { /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2; }
#install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
sound-slot-0 && { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
2>&1 || :; }
#remove sound-slot-0 { /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
/dev/null 2>&1 || :; } ; /sbin/modprobe -r --first-time
--ignore-remove sound-slot-0
alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe
install snd-sbawe /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-sbawe &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-sbawe { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-sbawe
#Turn off IPv6
#alias net-pf-10 off
#alias net-pf-10 on
#alias ipv6 off
alias eth1 ne2k-pci
alias eth0 8139too

Tnx

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Fortunately you can still install the module for your soundcard. Maybe the soundcard configuration program was changed to only manage ISA cards.

All I can see is a lot of commented out lines in your file. For comparison, below is my modprobe.conf file. The file is leaner than what you have. I have a different soundcard though.

Try booting with enforcing=0 appended to your grub boot loader on boot. This will put selinux in permissive mode while you are booting the system and should also log the avc denied message if the problem is related to security content.

For comparison, my modprobe.conf

cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 natsemi
alias snd-card-0 snd-ali5451
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-ali5451 index=0
remove snd-ali5451 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-ali5451
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

The remove snd-ali5451 line above wrapped but is all on one line in my config file. My sound works with the above entries.

Jim