Rebuild src.rpm kernel driver for non-running kernel

Hi all,

I have a few kernel drivers that I like to install that are not
included in the kernel itself but have rpms or src.rpms available from
Livna (ntfs, nvidia, etc) .  These of course have to be rebuilt or
reinstalled for a new kernel.  Sometimes I update my kernel before
Livna gets the rpms rebuilt, so it can be easier to just rebuild the
src.rpm.  However, it would be really convenient to be able to rebuild
the src.rpms before rebooting to the new kernel, so everything just
works.

So, now to my question: is it possible to rebuild a kernel driver
src.rpm for a non-running kernel?  Is there a standard way to do it?

I tried doing this with the nvidia driver for FC5T3 once with very
poor results.  I had to go hack into the spec file to change the way
it got the kernel version (it used some self-contained script to get
the kernel version (or versions)).  Not at all an ideal way to do it.
It would be really nice to just pass in a KVER=2.6.16-1.2069_FC4 or
something with the rpmbuild --rebuild command.

Jonathan