Re: Preview Video content in Konqueror

Greg Trounson wrote:

Up until recently I have been able to use Konqueror to preview all
sorts
of files, including video.  However since upgrading to FC4 I can no
longer do this.  Video previewing seems to have been totally removed
from Konqueror altogether (though it still works fine on my Debian
box).

It appears that recent builds of kdemultimedia and kdemultimedia-extras
no
longer include /usr/lib/kde3/videothumbnail.so, which I'm guessing is
the
key to previewing video files.
Looks like a buglet in kdemultimedia-extras.

-- Rex

Possibly, but it looks like all versions of kdemultimedia-extras now have:
# rpm -ql kdemultimedia-extras
/usr/bin/mpeglibartsplay
/usr/lib/kde3/kfile_mp3.la
/usr/lib/kde3/kfile_mp3.so
/usr/lib/kde3/kfile_mpeg.la
/usr/lib/kde3/kfile_mpeg.so
/usr/lib/libarts_mpeglib-0.3.0.so.0
/usr/lib/libarts_mpeglib-0.3.0.so.0.0.3
/usr/lib/libarts_mpeglib.la
/usr/lib/libarts_mpeglib.so
/usr/lib/libarts_splay.la
/usr/lib/libarts_splay.so
/usr/lib/libarts_splay.so.0
/usr/lib/libarts_splay.so.0.0.0
/usr/lib/libarts_xine.la
/usr/lib/libarts_xine.so
/usr/lib/libmpeg-0.3.0.so
/usr/lib/libmpeg.la
/usr/lib/libmpeg.so
/usr/lib/mcop/MP3PlayObject.mcopclass
/usr/lib/mcop/SplayPlayObject.mcopclass
/usr/lib/mcop/xineAudioPlayObject.mcopclass
/usr/lib/mcop/xineVideoPlayObject.mcopclass
/usr/share/apps/videothumbnail
/usr/share/apps/videothumbnail/sprocket-large.png
/usr/share/apps/videothumbnail/sprocket-medium.png
/usr/share/apps/videothumbnail/sprocket-small.png
/usr/share/services/kfile_mp3.desktop
/usr/share/services/kfile_mpeg.desktop

The actual videothumbnail library appears to have moved to something
called kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree, which seems to be a recent
development and I can't find on any yum repo.

The closest I've found is
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/2575176/com/kdemultimedia-nonfree-3.5.1-0.lvn.1.rh9.kde.i386.rpm.html
which lists:
libarts_mpeglib-0.3.0.so.0
libarts_splay.so.0
libarts_xine.so
libkrecexport_mp3.so
libmpeg-0.3.0.so
libyafcore.so
libyafxplayer.so
videothumbnail.so
kdemultimedia-nonfree

Incidentally, just copying videothumbnail.so from another distro to
/usr/lib/kde3 doesn't fix it.  Is there some other file that's needed?

I notice that kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree is now in the Livna repo for FC5, and restores the Video Preview feature correctly.

I guess it's just an FC4 bug,

Greg