fglrx slower on FC5 than radeon?

    Has anyone installed the new xorg-x11-drv-fglrx-8.23.7-4.lvn5
and kmod-fglrx-smp-8.23.7-4.2.6.16_1.2080_FC5 yet? I find that these
drivers seem to slow the desktop performance of the machine. The
glxgears rate of the fglrx driver (set with the ati-fglrx-config-display
tool) is only 1500 fps compared to 1833 fps with the stock xorg radeon
driver. Beyond that the fglrx driver seems to make the machine much
less responsive (windows open slower, etc). Reverting back to the
radeon drivers was much more usable. Also I would note that the disable
feature of ati-fglrx-config-display is broken. It will set your xorg.conf
to the 'ati' driver and not the 'radeon' setting that is kept in the
xorg.conf.backup-ati-fglrx backup file. It also drops the...

        Load  "dri"

when you disable the fglrx driver and adds an Overlay line which wasn't
in the original. If you didn't make a backup of xorg.conf before
enabling the fglrx driver, you can revert back with the Display
control panel.
                Jack