Re: Fedora C4 dies

Jim Douglas wrote:
> Fedora freezes and I'm not sure why
>
> Here are the symptoms.
>
> Things slow down over the course of 2-4 minutes then I can't do anything and
> have to turn the power off or if I'm lucky I can get to the terminal
> window and shutdown.
>
> It's only been happening the last couple of days and I don't know why.

That sounds difficult to analyse.

How much memory do you have? How much swapspace? The free command will
give you an idea.

When things slow down, is the hard drive light active? If so, check how
much swap you're using -- is it going up? If so, run top and press "M"
(capital M). This will sort the processes on your system by memory
usage. Is anything going through the roof?

If that doesn't help, run top, *don't* press any keys, and see if
something is hogging the CPU.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo."