Re: why doesn't yum stay on the continent

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Robin Laing wrote:

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 18:02 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

The most prosaic one is that it isn't trivial for yum to work out
which continent a user is on.

Surely it is.  Just read the information stating what timezone the
computer is located in.

It wouldn't work for me as I am on one side of Canada but I connect to the Internet on the other side.

There are times that I can get a quicker download from overseas than in North America.

Your case is an exceptional one that cannot be solved in general by passive location systems. It is the same problem as 'I'm in Canada but my proxy server is in Australia' for GeoIP. Pathological cases like that just cannot be generally solved by passive sytems because it is always possible to setup a configuration where a person's actual location is unrelated to their apparent network location.

But for better than 90% of people either GeoIP or using the timezone locale will produce decent results easily.

A dynamic 'learning' system that measured number of hops/network latency and adjusted preferred mirrors based on the learned network configuration could do even better as it learned what mirrors were probably good for a user and which were usually poor choices.

--
Jerry

If you can't handle reality, it *will* handle you.