Re: Problems With Atheros Based Wireless Cards

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 09:51 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:55:29 -0500
"Jeffrey D. Yuille" <jeffy5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> opined:
> Hello,
>
>      I had installed Fedora Core 5 on a Dell Inspiron 4000 computer
> and I was using the SMC 2536w-ag wireless card.  It used the
> madwifi drivers as well as the kernel module.  Although it worked
> fine under Fedora Core 4, I cannot get it working in Fedora Core
> 5.  Has anyone else experienced problems with these drivers in
> FC5?  And if so, how can I get this card working?  I also have an
> IBM T-30 with FC5 and am experiencing the same problems.  Thanks in
> advance for any help I can receive.

Are you having the problem where the Atheros is identified as
ethernet rather than wireless? When you mention madwifi, is that
madwifi-ng?

--
Our DNSRBL -
           Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com

No, the Madwifi drivers are "Madwifi-old" or just "Madwifi",  I believe.  Also, when I try to configure the card in Gnome, I come to a place that says, "other wireless cards".  In FC5, unlike in FC4, it gives no name of the chipset to indicate that it even recognizes that the card is present.  Also, when FC4 was installed, all I had to do was install the kernel modules and drivers and my system would recognize the card.