Re: Sharing Thunderbird Mails Between Linux and Windows

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 13:15, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Ouch. This is one of the big problems with a traditional Unix mailbox:
> when the mailbox gets large, programs have to do large amounts of
> re-ordering and rewriting to delete e-mails, and there's a lot of scope
> for things to go wrong.
>
> But I'm still surprised that the FAT32 filesystem was the problem. I
> can't recall an occasion when that gave any problems. Have you checked
> smartctl -l error /dev/hda (assuming that it's an IDE disk)? Have you
> checked memtest86? I *have* experienced problems with disk and memory...

Unrelated to mail, but I had a bad experience once with FAT32 partitions.  I
had some left over from dual-boot days, and filled them mainly with photos.
I had a cpu-fan failure that took out the motherboard.  When I rebuilt I
found that the ext3 partitions were fine, but the FAT32 ones were completely
hosed.  I tried every recovery tool I could find, recovering some files, but
losing every .jpg on there.

I've never trusted a vfat partition since.

I note that man pages regarding partitioning tell you to let windows format
partitions to be used by windows, and linux to format partitions to be used
by linux.  I think that says it all.

Anne