[SOLVED] FC4 install on SE7221BK1

>> We're having problems installing FC4 on an Intel SE7221BK1
>
>That board is a mess :(
>I once had one, got it exchanged, same trouble, and gave it back
>finally.
>
>> system. The install gets as far as trying to set up the
>> initial Xwindow screen, but then just displays a pixmess.
>> This happens with two different install CD's.
>>
>> FC3 installs fine, and Ubuntu and Knoppix live CDs work OK.
>>
>> Googling gets me the stuff about the FC4 install kernel-panic,
>> but nothing about this problem. Any ideas?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Terry.
>
>Be sure you have the latest available BIOS installed. I had the board
>with kernel panics for RHEL4 installs - later Intel fixed that issue by
>a new BIOS.
>
>Try by booting into install with "linux nofb".
>
>Alexander

selecting 'linux text' at the install 'boot:' prompt
allowed us to get the FC4 cds installed, but with an Xmess.
We then booted up into single-user mode and edited /etc/inittab
to prevent automatic startx, and rebooted. We could then
'yum update' everything, whereupon startx brought up a
working X system. (Maybe we could have used CTRL/ALT/F1 to
break out of the Xmess instead of messing with inittab)

Cheers,
Terry.