Re: why doesn't yum stay on the continent

James Wilkinson:
>>> The most prosaic one is that it isn't trivial for yum to work out
>>> which continent a user is on.

Tim:
>> Surely it is.  Just read the information stating what timezone the
>> computer is located in.

Paul Howarth:
> Which would make yum think that London and Cape Town were close to each
> other...

That rather depends on what system of identifying the timezone you use.
The stupid CST, EST, etc., names are useless.  But if you set your
timezone as something like Australia/Adelaide, etc., the continent has
been identified.  In a case like mine, it would make sense for the
update process to try an Australian mirror first.  It might even be good
if I could specify a preferred server that will be tried first, before
picking a random mirror.

I read messages from the public lists.