Re: ASCII

On 3/28/06, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All

How do i use this ASCII values in my day to day activities, I am going through
learning python,

Please illustrate with examples

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Kaushal

Hi Kaushal!

Ok, this is a bit off topic for this list but a good review (and Python introduction) for me.

First a look at the ascii table (see link):

http://www.lookuptables.com/

I think it is useful to break the numbers ( 0 to 9 ) and the capital and small letters ( A B C and a b c should be enough) down to binary since it shows how they fit in the sequence.

With that as a base time to diverge into the modern world of UTF-X(Xs):

http://www.jorendorff.com/articles/unicode/python.html

Now back to the Python basics of ascii (note, I am a Python learner like yourself not a programmer):

http://python.active-venture.com/lib/module-curses.ascii.html

The above is kind of a toolkit to analyze (parse when decisions are made per results) ascii characters.

Now as I have been typing I have been producing ascii characters.  To see a list of which characters are mapped to which key (man keymaps) do a (from a terminal window):

[user]$ dumpkeys -l > longDumpKeys
[user]$ less longDumpKeys

This uses the "dumpkeys" utility to see the mapping of ascii characters to key press and places the results in the file "longDumpKeys" then "less longDumpKeys" reads the results one screen at a time (up and down arrow to move -- q to quit) viewing of the results.

You can process them one character at a time:

http://docs.python.org/lib/msvcrt-console.html

Or probably have the user input a line of characters (did not have time to research).

More examples within:

http://excess.org/urwid/

http://kia.etel.ru/lib/rhl6u/rhl6u347.htm

Have fun!