Re: why doesn't yum stay on the continent

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 12:48, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 11:02, James Wilkinson wrote:
> > >       Does anyone know why when yum chooses a mirror to download from
> > > that it doesn't attempt to use a mirror on the same continent as the
> > > user? That would seem to be a far more efficient use of the yum mirrors
> > > than handing US users off to a mirror in New Zealand.
> >
> > There are a number of reasons.
> >
> > The most prosaic one is that it isn't trivial for yum to work out which
> > continent a user is on. So no-one has written code to do *quite* this
> > (but see later).
>
> The Centos folks claim that theirs will pick a working nearby mirror
> based on the IP of the client.

We're discussing implementing GeoIP (the same technology as CentOS uses) to
add limited regional awareness to the mirror selection.  In the meantime,
your best bet is to adjust your yum configuration to use a small number of
mirrors of your choosing.  This can be accomplished by disabling the
mirrorlist option and using the baseurl option in the repository
configurations.  This has the advantage of allowing you to choose mirrors
that are nearby and fast without having to rely upon tools to figure it out
for you.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64@xxxxxxxxx